Friday, May 14, 2010

Sleeeeeeep

Let's just say sleep hasn't been the greatest lately. There are a couple of hurdles in my way.

1 - My ever expanding belly. Duh. This is my greatest obstacle. Sleeping on my stomach isn't an option, cause it's just not possible. Sleeping on my back isn't an option because the docs say not to. Sleeping on my side is what remains, and I've never been a side sleeper. I have a pregnancy boppy pillow to cuddle with, and some nights that helps, some nights it doesn't.

2 - Anxiety. It's funny cause most of the time I don't feel like I'm nervous or anxious about adding number 2. That is until it's time to sleep. There are some nights where I just can't quite get all the way to sleep. I am almost drifted off, then I wake myself up with a moment of panic where I have to catch my breath. It's really hard to explain. And it's not nearly as dramatic as it sounds. Some nights I just can't shut the brain down.

3 - Restless Leg Syndrome? I read somewhere that 25% of preggos develop RLS during pregnancy. I have a general antsyness at sleepytime right now. I fidget and move and move some more and can't settle enough to sleep. Could it be RLS? And if it is, it's not like I can take anything while pregnant. So what can I do about it?

Needless to say I'm tired. Tired of waking up at 3:45 or 4:30 a.m. for the day because let's face it, no more sleep is happening for me. Tired of not being able to fall asleep at night because I'm having mild freak outs. There is only so much early morning tivo watching and computer surfing I can take.

Any suggestions out there? Sleep remedies? Calming techniques? Help an exhausted sister out.

1 comment:

Katie said...

I'm sure you've tried all of my little self-help remedies already, but just in case. . .

I do my own "bedtime" routine lately, which includes a warm bath and a "mind candy" book of some sort. This really helps relax me.

I keep a notebook by my bed for any thoughts that might creep up at night. A lot of my anxiety is over unfinished things and my mind keeps working over them. If I think of something that needs to be done, I write it down and then say to myself, "I can get xyz done tomorrow, but I need a good night's rest tonight in order to do so." For some reason, this really works.

One of my friends had RLS-like symptoms that developed while she was pregnant. Her OB "prescribed" her bananas - at least one per day. I have read that the potassium keeps you from getting leg cramps, so perhaps this works along the same lines?

I know my OB recommends Tylenol PM or Benedryl when you can't sleep. I have never actually taken either, but you might want to run it by your OB or see if they have any other ideas/solutions.